Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a technology that facilitates non line of sight identification of items. Implementing RFID system in libraries will aid tasks such as circulation, re-shelving & theft detection, and it has several In short RFID streamlines workflow in the area of self service, books return, shelf management and inventory Tagging.
It has several other important advantages.
- Stock management
- Improved patron services
- Flexibility and modularity
- Less time needed for circulation operations
- Efficient Inventory management
- Reducing Repetitive Stress Injuries (RSI)
- Patrons will spend less time waiting in check-out lines by using Self Check in - Check out systems
- Patrons find what they are looking for quickly & easily
- Reminders for due dates allows patrons to submit borrowed materials in time
- Use of book drops & return chutes for returning library material, allows for flexible timings
- RFID enabled patron cards allows for easy patron identification
- Gate Detection System.
- Staff Circulation Station.
- Self Check in/ Check out Kiosk.
- Book Return Station.
- RFID Tags.
- Smart Cards.